The National Migration Service establishes a new procedure for visa applications of domestic workers
Resolution No. 2579 of February 10, 2022, promulgated in the Official Gazette on February 21, 2022 (hereinafter "The Resolution"), establishes a new procedure for applications for Domestic Workers Visa, namely:
The registration and presentation of applications for a Domestic Workers Visa is authorized, prior to the applicant's entry into the national territory, by means of a legal representative. The power of attorney must be authenticated by apostille or by the Consulate of Panama in the country in which said power is granted.
- The National Migration Service (SNM) will register and open the procedure, prior to the payment of the fees for immigration procedures and the cost of the card.
- Once the presentation of the procedure has been formalized, the applicant may enter Panama and must present himself to the SNM to give continuity to the corresponding procedures.
- Foreigners who are of a nationality of a State that maintain a visa suppression agreement with Panama or do not require a visa, may apply for the Domestic Workers Visa as established in this Resolution.
- Foreigners of nationalities who require a visa to enter Panama must first obtain the approval of the tourist visa, in order to opt for the provisions of this Resolution.
- This Resolution shall take effect upon its promulgation.
- With this Resolution, the SNM authorizes the submission of Applications for Domestic Workers Visas, prior to entering Panama. Previously, the foreigner had to be in Panama to be able to submit the application to the SNM.
- Once the applicant enters Panama, they must present themselves to the SNM to continue with the process and be able to obtain their corresponding migration card.
- This Resolution establishes that foreigners who are nationals of a State with a visa suppression agreement with Panama or who do not require a visa can apply for the Domestic Workers Visa directly, however, foreigners who require a visa to enter Panama must first apply for the tourist visa and obtain its approval before applying for the Domestic Workers Visa.
- This Resolution came into force on 21 February 2022.