Marriage to a Panama Citizen

Marriage to a Panama Citizen Visa


Marriage to a Panama Citizen

Foreigners seeking permanent residence through marriage to a Panama citizen must prove the marriage is valid and is not a sham. Additionally, the applicant should live with the Panamanian partner in stability and continuity in order to be eligible for the Married to Panamanian Visa.

However, the fact that a foreigner is married to a Panamanian does not grant the right to residence in Panama. The National Immigration Service could deny entry or residence on grounds of hygiene, morality, public safety, or social needs.

The application requirements include:

  1. Submit a formal application to be a permanent resident along with a notarized Special Power of Attorney allowing your lawyer to act on your behalf
  2. Get a notarized copy of your entire passport. Your passport should have at least one year validity.
  3. Criminal record from the country of origin, and from any country where the applicant lived for 2 or more years, including Panama. The criminal record needs to be authenticated, either with Apostille or certified by the issuing country.
  4. Health certificate from an accredited local doctor not older than 3 months.
  5. Payment of $250 USD to the National Treasure.
  6. Five (5) passport-sized photos.
  7. Marriage Certificate (valid only for 6 months) from Panama’s Civil Registry. The marriage must be registered in Panama’s Civil Registry, even if celebrated abroad.
  8. Panamanian partner’s Birth Certificate (valid only for 6 months) from the Civil Registry.
  9. Copy of the Panamanian partner’s National ID (cedula), authenticated by the Civil Registry.
  10. Birth Certificate (valid only for 6 months) of the couple’s Panamanian children, if any.
  11. Marital Interview.
  12. The National Immigration Service has the right to visit the couple’s home at any time to inspect the living situation.

A temporary residence card will be issued upon application. Two years later, the applicant can apply for permanent residence. The application requires the same documents, except the Criminal Record and the payment to the National Treasure.




Contact us