If I overstay my tourist visa, what should I do?

Overstay Tourist Permit in Panama

Tourists usually receive a 3- or 6-month permit to visit Panama upon arrival, and most go back to their home country well before this period is over. However, tourists may overstay for many reasons, including falling in love with Panama.
Overstaying your tourist permit in Panama can result in fines, detention, or deportation. The specific consequences will depend on the length of your overstay and the circumstances surrounding it.
For starters, overstaying your visit results in a $50.00 fine per month. This must be paid prior to your departure at the main Immigration Office located on Ricardo J. Alfaro Avenue. If you find yourself in this situation you can contact us a few weeks prior to your departure to help you complete the appropriate paperwork. This will enable you to schedule a visit to settle the fine. Once the fine is paid, you will have 5 days to leave the country.
Tip – If you attempt to pay the overstay fine by yourself, do not sign anything that you do not understand. You might be signing a voluntary deportation or an entry ban.
It is also possible to settle the fine once you leave the country, which must be completed within 7 days upon departure. However, this option requires a power of attorney and your original passport to pay the fine.
What happens if you overstay, leave Panama, and do not pay the overstay fine?
Although it sounds like a tempting option, this may result in a 2-year or 5-yevisatry ban. Also, be mindful that carrying expired immigration documentation may result in detention by immigration authorities and possible deportation from the country.
Prevent overstay fines.
One option to prevent overstay fines is to request a tourist permit extension. We can also help you with this process. The final decision will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
Following Panama’s immigration rules will keep you out of trouble. If you need to stay in Panama for an extended period of time, we recommend that you book a consultation with our legal experts. This will enable us to discuss the most appropriate course of action.
Contact us!