We are a full-service generalist law firm. We specialize in the areas of residential and commercial immigration, real estate transactions, commercial transactions and tax matters.
We have specialist advisors in all areas of our business, as well as fantastic support staff who can help you if your advisor is not available when you contact them.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
($) US Dollars
Visa Exemption: There is a Law in effect regarding tourist visas for entering the Republic of Panama; EXECUTIVE DECREE # 521 states that:
Article 1: “Any person of nationality who requires a visa to enter the Republic of Panama, who has a valid Visa or Residence, duly issued by Canada, the United States of America, the Commonwealth of Australia, the Republic of Korea, the State of Japan, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Singapore and any of the States that make up the European Union, may enter the national territory “
Article 2: The visa granted by the countries mentioned in the previous article must be a multiple entry visa, has been used previously in the territory of the granting State and its validity shall not be less than six (6) months at the time of entering Panamanian territory. . If you meet the following requirements, you will qualify for the aforementioned decree:
• Has a valid passport with a minimum of three months validity.
• Has a multiple entry visa with six (6) months of remaining validity from ONE of the following countries: Canada, United States of America, Commonwealth of Australia, Republic of Korea, State of Japan, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland North, Republic of Singapore and any of the States that make up the European Union
• You must have used this visa to enter the country. For example, if you have a visa from the United States, you must have entered the United States with that visa in order to qualify for the exemption.
• Migration Officers are accepting the visa exemption of Executive Decree # 521, if the holder has a valid permanent residence card of the United States.
• You must also show proof of economic solvency for a minimum of US $ 500.00 upon entering. NOTE: Make sure you have a minimum of three months of validity in your passport and a round trip ticket.
• The maximum amount of time that you can stay in Panama is 30 days.
For further information please access the following link which contains a copy of the law decree :
No one, regardless of their nationality, can travel to Panama with an expired passport.
There is a taxi rank in the departure area at the airport; it is found after passing through customs. The 30-minute taxi ride from Tocumen airport to Panama City can cost around $ 20 dollars. The official fare is $ 10.00 per person if you share the taxi with four (4) other passengers, $ 14.00 per person if you share with two (2) other passengers. You can also buy a private taxi for $ 25.00 dollars. The buses are not near the terminal and the nearest bus stop is at a considerable distance from the airport. The Tourism Authority of Panama advises not to take a bus. (UBER?)
TRAVELING WITH PETS
If you are bringing pets to Panama, be sure to follow the following steps:
I. REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTRY OF SMALL PETS TO PANAMA:
1. You will be asked upon arrival at Tocumen Airport for a Certificate of Good Health of Exportation for Small Animals issued by the Sanitary Authority from the country of origin.
Within the United States, you will be able to get this Certificate of Good Health at the U.S. Department of Agriculture( U.S.D.A.)
2. This form has to be certified by an official U.S.D.A. Veterinary and the pet’s veterinary.
This certificate can be found under Pet Travel on the U.S.D.A. webpage or at the following link: “https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/pettravel-panama”
3. After you get the certificate with the two signatures send it to a Panamanian Consulate for the authentication or if you live in a state that does not have a Panamanian diplomatic office, the health certificate can be APOSTILLED by the Authentication Office of the Secretary of State located in the State where the document originates.
4. The Consular Fee is $30.00 per document, payable by money order made out to the Consulate of Panama.
5. Please include a self-addressed prepaid envelope for the return of your documents. If you are sending documents by mail, we recommend you use Express Mail – USPS, Priority Mail – USPS or Fedex to avoid delays and your documents getting lost.
6. Please write in clear print “TRAVELING WITH PET” on the outside of the envelope that you are mailing to us so we can process it faster.
Please send the documents to the following address:
CONSULATE OF PANAMA
2862 McGill Terrace, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20008
NOTE: Make sure to check with your airline for further information regarding airline guidelines when you are traveling with pets. Be aware that the airlines require a U.S.D.A. Certificate valid for at least 10 days from the day it was issued.
II. PROCEEDINGS OF THE PAPERWORK FOR HOME QUARANTINE TO GIVE UPON ARRIVAL IN PANAMA
1. Fill out the form “Home Quarantine Request” (click to download)
2. Upon arrival at the Tocumen Airport, all documents previously mentioned have to be given to the Veterinary Doctor of the Department of Zoonosis Control, who will verify the same.
3. If the owner fulfills all requirements, the animal(s) will be given back to its owner. If the requirements are not fulfilled, the pet will be send back to the country of origin using the same airline in which the pet arrived.
4. The fee for the Home Quarantine is B/.130.00 per animal paid only in cash at Tocumen Airport.
NOTE: The completed “Home Quarantine Request” form has to be email it to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. This form must be sent to the Ministry of Health authorities three (03) to five (05) days prior to your arrival in Panama.
Take note of the following Ministry working hours in the Tocumen International Airport in Panama:
• Schedule: Monday to Sunday: from 8:00 am. to 10:00 pm.
BIOSECURITY INDICATIONS FOR THE PAPERWORK OF PETS INCOMING TO PANAMA
In order to do the paperwork of your pet without risk and fluently for both passenger and the
personal, you should keep the following indications:
1. Before your arrival send the “Home Quarantine Request” and post an image of passport or Panamanian ID and document that will present:
a. Exportation Certificate
b. Apostille or Consular authentication
c. Vaccines record card or certificate
2. At your arrival to the official offices (MIDA and MINSA), we will let just one person (owner or responsible person) to do the paperwork.
3. Meanwhile the paperwork is done, all the luggage and properties should be keep outside of the offices in the designated area.
4. Pet´s arriving in kennels or bags, during the paperwork, can´t be taked out.
5. Keep the pets in the designated area, until the officials of quarantine gives you the indications to follow.
7. The fees to be paid, you should bring it in cash and the exactly amount (MIDA $16.00 and MINSA $130.00).